Thursday, April 23, 2009

Norm

Norm was our dog, she (yes Norm is a girl) was put down today. Normandy was 16 years old. When we went to the pet store to pick her out, it was on a whim, really Nick had finally pestered my parents so long about getting an iguana they just wanted to shut him up. I have no idea how we went into the pet shop for an iguana and came out with a puppy, but we did. Norm was the chubbiest puppy in her litter, she was also the calmest puppy in her littler (sound like a character from Cheers?). We found out her birthday was the day after the anniversary of D-Day... So the best name for her was Normandy, and we called her Norm for short.

She went on her first backpacking trip when she was a puppy, she even had her own backpack. When we (the humans) went for a swim in a trail-side pond, Norm was so protective of us she jumped in the pond (without ever having been swimming before). Of course when she got out to us, she nearly drowned us! Near the end of our week long trip we hiked 12 (?) miles the last 4 miles were up a steep slope of sand and rock. Norm led the way...

Norm was an amazing camper and backpacker. She was also a wonderful walking partner. She and I would walk the entire outer perimeter of Coronado, several times a week while I was in high school.

My most favorite memories of Norm are from more recently. When I moved home from school I began to notice that when Norm and I were home alone, no matter how sick she was, she would position herself between me and the door. Norm was a very protective dog... ok so she thought she was and put up a good front. But when it came down to it her bark was worse than her bite. She sent more than one delivery person running out of or jumping over our front gate!


Norm had a very expressive face, and I will miss seeing it when I come home. After battling cancer for 2 yrs, she finally decided she couldn't do it anymore. She stopped eating and drinking. The last two days she struggled to stand up. I'm glad she's no longer in pain. I love my dog. I miss her.


I wish I had a picture of her on my computer so I could post it with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment